Although the first mention of an established club was in 1816, cricket had been played in the area in 1814 when a game against Yarm attracted more than 2,000 spectators. In 1847 the All England XI played the first of several games against Stockton and District XXII. A lithograph of this game still hangs in the Clubhouse. Visiting teams came to Stockton from as far afield as Bradford, Harewood, Lascelles Hall, Bedale, Kelso and Edinburgh. In 1888 a Durham County Cup competition began. Stockton lost in the inaugural final but won the trophy in 1890. In 1891 the club joined the new "Durham League". In the same year the club discovered that their ground was to be turned into a park for the town. The park, known as "Ropner Park" is still in use today.
The Grangefield Ground
A new ground was sought and the Grangefield Ground was bought. It needed to be drained, levelled and a perimeter fence built - all this cost £1537.2s.8d. which was raised by way of a mortgage from the then club President Mr. Wrightson. The first ever game on the Grangefield Ground was against Constable Burton, a village in North Yorkshire on the 4th June l892. This match was recreated a century later to mark the clubs 175th anniversary. In l896 the club joined the North Yorkshire and South Durham League where it played until 1999. Over the years the Grangefield Ground has become one of the best in the North of England.
built Tea Room was added in 1923 after the ground had been enlarged two years
earlier, a groundsman`s house was added in 1953 and a new score box in
1955. In 1980 a new lounge was built which serves many functions. Indoor
Sports, Line Dancing, Club Meetings and Events are held here and the lounge is
also available for hire. This lounge was opened by England Cricketer
Chris Old on May 31st 1980. In more recent years the dressing rooms have
been extended and a ‘state of the art’ electronic scoreboard and Indoor Net
facility have been built.
Since the 1950's Stockton have had many good amateur players but in common with many other clubs it is the quality of the performance of the professionals that has taken the eye. Nasim ul Ghani (Pakistan) helped Stockton to the league championship in 1976 with 841 runs and 82 wickets, the West Indian, Irving Shillingford's 1,258 runs set a league record in 1978. Indian test player, Sanjay Manjrekar not only scored 1,735 runs but also broke the club record with a magnificent 181 against Bishop Auckland in 1995. And yet, perhaps the most outstanding performer was Sairaj Bahatule (Bombay & India) who scored 1,297 runs and took 123 wickets in 1996, the first player ever to do the double in the North Yorkshire and South Durham League.
From 1847 to 1991 Durham CCC used Stockton as one of their grounds for Minor Counties cricket. In l992 with Durham’s entry into first class cricket, Stockton was named as one of the out grounds. To date twelve first class matches and eleven List 'A' matches have been staged on the ground against eleven different counties.
In 2000 Stockton joined the newly formed North East Regional Premier Cricket League and, apart from the Under 17s, have left the NYSD league.
The club currently runs three senior weekend teams all playing in the various divisons of the NEPL, Under 17s, Under 15s, Under 13s and Under 11s, together with a Ladies team that was formed in 2000.
Our 1stXI were the Champions of the Premier League in 2013.